The education received at Optimist International School is designed to prepare your child to continue an uninterrupted learning programme by meeting the educational level requirements of the British and the international education systems, regardless of the chosen secondary school.
Every year in Autumn we and several local secondary schools organize an information evening where we provide parents and children with more information about secondary education and the Dutch school system.
We cooperate closely with a number of secondary schools nearby, including:
Haarlemmermeer Lyceum, Hoofddorp "A Window to the World"
Approx. 1km from OIS
- Haarlemmermeer Lyceum offers a bilingual programme at three different levels: mavo (preparatory secondary vocational education), havo (senior general secondary education) and vwo (university preparatory education).
- The school has a separate programme for non-Dutch speakers. Students who don’t speak Dutch (or just a little) enroll in a Dutch as a second language programme (NT2
- It offers a combined educational programme of the Dutch national curriculum, English language, and International Orientation programme.
- Bilingual Students finish the Dutch exam programme at the same level as students who do their education solely in Dutch (regular stream). The bilingual students also do an English IB-language exam which is recognised all over the world (CPE-level).
The International School of Haarlem (ISH)
Approx. 10 km for OIS
- ISH introduced and implemented a secondary curriculum for students in September 2018. The programme is initially open with the first three years of secondary schooling (ages 11-12-13-14, Middle Year Programme MYP 1, 2 and 3.
- ISH provides a recognized, international curriculum for secondary students. Subsequent years will see further developments and growth, with a vision to offer a full International Baccalaureate (IB) programme in the secondary department within the next few years.
Het Rijnlands Lyceum International School (Oestgeest)
Approx 30 km from OIS
- Het Rijnlands Lyceum International School (ISRLO) offers international education within a Dutch setting aiming to develop inspiring and thoughtful global citizens.
- The school is set in Oestgeest close to the university city of Leiden and is part of the Foundation “Stichting Het Rijnlands Lyceum”. ISRLO is an IB World School and offers The Middle Years and Diploma Programmes.
- The IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) is designed for 11 – 16 year olds and aims to develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to proceed successfully to the IB Diploma programme (DP). The DP Programme is a rigorous 2-year pre-university course.